August's Pour Pairings Box is based off of the delicious wine with an interesting name: Gewürztraminer!
Native to Alsace, France, on the border of Germany and Switzerland, this wine is known for being highly aromatic, slightly sweet and a higher alcohol content than most white wines.
Although the Gewürztraminer grape is a red skinned grape, it is made into a white wine with unique notes of lychee, rosewater, and slightly spicy like ginger or cinnamon. When tasting wines made from less ripe grapes, you may also smell or taste a little grapefruit but higher quality bottles will show notes of fruits like pineapple, peach, or apricot.
The grape itself is typically higher in sugar which may leave a little residual sugar in the wine, creating the sweetness most people enjoy and what makes it the perfect wine pairing for spicy dishes in cuisines like Asian, Caribbean and Middle Eastern. These wines can also range from dry to super sweet.
What's In The Box:
- Janie's Life-Changing Apple Pie Crust Cookies
- A Dozen Cousins Trini Chickpea Curry
- Thank You Popcorn's Korean Barbeque Popcorn
- Oregon Bark's Ezra Cash Candy
- Cork Genius Wine Chiller with Aerator
- Cork Pops Wine Glass Pens
Pour Pairings to Try At Home:
- Try a sweet and nutty Muenster cheese, a slice of French bacon and Gruyère tarte flambée, or a Quiche Lorraine
- A smoked trout or smoked salmon will be particularly enhanced by the sweet and spicy flavors
- A bucket of popcorn with butter and truffle salt
- A Moroccan tagine with roasted meat, nuts, and dried fruit is the perfect blend of spicy, fatty, and sweet
- Kung Pao shrimp, Mapo Tofu, or a steaming hot pot with any variety of protein
Due to the special winemaking and storage processes, this 2011 Hugel Vendange Tardives Gewurztraminer is a bit of a splurge but you won't regret it. These wines are made from overripe grapes that are picked well after the classic vintage harvest (vendange tardives = late harvest) and in the greatest years only.
The action of noble rot (concentrates the acidity and the sugars in the grapes) gives them an almost unlimited ability to age. Showing rich flavors of tangerine, passionfruit, lychee and cinnamon, they are part of the elite wines in France offering extraordinary depth and concentration, which will develop in bottle for decades - it can be drank now or saved for a special occasion for years to come.
|Hugel Vendange Tardive Gewurztraminer 2011 - 375ml|